Teacher Assignment Form for Private Lessons

Spring 2018:  The deadline to submit this form AND to register for lessons is MONDAY, JANUARY 22, 2018!  (Please note that submission of this form does NOT mean you are automatically registered for MUSPF 401/402/431, or MUS 681-4.  You must do this yourself via CUNYFirst, just as with any other course.)

Undergraduate Students registering for MUSPF 401, 402 (1cr) or MUSPF 431 (3 cr) and Graduate Students registering for MUS 681-684 (1 cr) should submit the form at the bottom of this page.

Teacher Assignment forms must be completed each and every semester (fall and spring) that a student plans to take private lessons for credit, and must be submitted according to posted deadlines (see above). Late applications will be rejected. No exceptions! (You may submit a Teacher Assignment Form for study on a second instrument, but it is unlikely that we will be able to support such requests.)

In addition, all students enrolled in private instruction must participate in a Hunter ensemble, in each and every semester you are registered for private lessons. In instances where there is a large ensemble that is clearly appropriate for the lessons a student is receiving, the student is required to participate in that ensemble (e.g., a voice student in choir or chamber singers, a jazz saxophonist in jazz ensemble, a violinist in the orchestra), unless by prior arrangement with that ensemble’s director. This is by no means meant to discourage students from gaining additional musical exposure from other ensembles: the department encourages this. Requests to be exempt from these requirements must be stated in the comment box on the Teacher Assignment Form. Please consult the Music Department policies regarding private instruction.

Submission of the Teacher Assignment Form does not mean that you will automatically be registered for private lessons. You must register for private lessons (MUSPF 401, MUSPF 402, MUSPF 431, MUS 681-684) yourself, just as you would with any other course. If enrolled for private lessons, you must begin private instruction no later than the end of the second full week of classes. PLEASE NOTE: MUSPF 401, 402 and 431 consist of: Weekly private lessons as well as a weekly performance class (a required lab component for private lessons). For more information, click here.

NOTE: All undergraduate majors or minors taking instruction on an instrument or voice, as well as graduate students enrolled in MUS 681–684, must study with a Music Department faculty member or a Performance Associate (i.e., an approved non-Hunter faculty applied instructor). Permission to enroll in private instruction is granted when a student successfully completes the departmental auditions and exams required for entrance to a music program.

Click here to complete and submit the Teacher Assignment Form (MUSPF 401, 402, 431 and MUS 681-684 only).