M.A. Teacher Assignment Form

Spring 2018:  The deadline to submit this form AND to register for lessons is MONDAY, JANUARY 22, 2018 (Please note that submission of this form does NOT mean you are automatically registered for MUS 781, 782, 783 or 784. You must do this yourself via CUNYFirst, just as with any other course.)

MUS 681-684: Graduate Students registering for MUS 681-684 (1 cr) should proceed to the following Teacher Assignment Form.

MUS 781-784: Graduate Students registering for MUS 781-784 (3 cr) should proceed with the information below and submit the form at the bottom of this page.

Teacher Assignment forms must be completed each and every semester (fall and spring) that a student plans to take private lessons for credit, and must be submitted according to posted deadlines (see above). Late applications will be rejected. No exceptions! (You may submit a Teacher Assignment Form for study on a second instrument, but it is unlikely that we will be able to support such requests.)

In addition, all students enrolled in private instruction must participate in a Hunter ensemble, in each and every semester you are registered for private lessons.  In instances where there is a large ensemble that is clearly appropriate for the lessons a student is receiving, the student is required to participate in that ensemble (e.g., a voice student in choir or chamber singers, a jazz saxophonist in jazz ensemble, a violinist in the orchestra), unless by prior arrangement with that ensemble’s director. This is by no means meant to discourage students from gaining additional musical exposure from other ensembles: the department encourages this. Requests to be exempt from these requirements must be stated in the comment box on the Teacher Assignment Form Please consult the Music Department policies regarding private instruction.

Please note that only M.A. or BA/MA students who have been accepted as Performance students may register for MUS 781-784. Submission of the Teacher Assignment Form does NOT mean that you will automatically be registered for private lessons. You must register for private lessons (MUS 781-784) yourself, just as you would with any other course. If enrolled for private lessons, you must begin private instruction no later than the end of the second full week of classes.


  1. (a.) Students who are assigned by the Music Department to study with a member of the Hunter College faculty do not pay the teacher directly and do not get a tuition waiver. (b.) If a student is assigned by the Music Department to study with a Performance Associate (i.e., a non-Hunter faculty instructor), the student must pay the teacher directly and will get a Tuition Waiver (TW) for the lessons.
  2. M.A. Performance students who wish to study with a teacher who is neither a Hunter College faculty member, nor a current Performance Associate (i.e., an approved non-Hunter faculty applied instructor) must first make sure that this teacher will be approved by the Music Department as a Performance Associate by conveying the c.v. of the intended instructor to the Director of Performance Studies.

Click here to complete and submit the M.A. Teacher Assignment Form (for MUS 781-784 only).