Graduate Program Policies

1. Leave of Absence and Time Extensions

All degrees except TEP must be completed within four years of the date that a student matriculates in the program; the TEP degree allows five years. Students who do not register during a given semester must submit a Leave of Absence form specifying the time period (up to a maximum of one year) that they plan to be away. Leaves of absence for non-TEP students do not extend the total time allowed for the degree; TEP degrees are extended by leaves of absence.

Students who fail to complete the thesis during the semester in which they register for it may register for one credit of Independent Study on the subject of the thesis the following semester. After that, they must either request a leave of absence or pay the fee for maintaining matriculation.

Students who fail to complete a degree within the time limit must file a Request for Time Extension form. Such requests must specify the reason for the delay and the final deadline for completion of the work. They are granted only for serious reasons, and the final deadlines are strictly enforced.  For a complete list of Graduate Student forms, click here.

2. Non-Degree Status

It is possible to take one or a few classes as a non-degree student. Students usually take classes as non-degree students if they have missed the application deadline, if they want to take one class to "test the waters," or if they need to make up just one or two undergraduate classes in order to be considered for graduate work at Hunter College. Non-degree students may take a maximum of 9 graduate credits, at which time they must apply to the school or try their luck elsewhere. Credits for which a student received a grade of B or better as a non-degree student may be applied to the M.A. in Music or an M.A. in Music TEP degree should the student subsequently be accepted formally into one of these programs (as is often the case); however, there is never a guarantee that a non-degree student will subsequently be accepted as a graduate student.

For more information on applying and enrolling as a non-degree student, click here.

3. Transferring Credits and Taking Courses at Other Schools

A maximum of 9-12 credits transferred from other institutions might be accepted toward the M.A. Degree. Only courses for which the student received the grade of B or better will be considered. (Students might be asked to successfully pass the relevant proficiency exam before such transfer credit is allowed; for instance, in order to transfer Music History credits, a student might be asked to first pass the Music History Proficiency Exam). Students may also (with permission) take some courses at the CUNY Graduate Center and other CUNY schools; note that credits received from other CUNY schools will be considered transfer credits. The final decision regarding transfer credits will be made by the Divisional Dean and the Admissions Department, upon the recommendation of the Graduate Adviser; see the Graduate Catalogue for more details.

4. Graduation Approval

Within the first few weeks of the semester in which a student plans to graduate, a Graduate Audit Form (DAAF) must be completed, signed, and submitted to the Registrar. The form must be filled out as neatly and completely as possible, making sure to clearly note any course substitutions. Forms for MA Music students may be found here: ; forms for Music TEP students may be found here:

When the form is filled out as completely as possible, it must be submitted to the Graduate Adviser. TEP students must also submit the form to the Office of Educational Services (Room 1000W) after it is approved by the Graduate Adviser. After obtaining the necessary approvals, the student must deposit the form in the Registrar's Office. Also by the end of the semester in which the student plans to graduate, students must have the Graduate Adviser sign and stamp a note to the Records Office affirming that (a) any course substitutions noted on the Graduate Audit Form have been approved; (b) that the student passed all the necessary proficiency and language exams; and (c) that the student successfully completed either their thesis (for Composition, Ethnomusicology, and Musicology concentrators), their performance recital (for Performance concentrators), or their TEP Portfolio (for Music Education majors).

5. Use of Electronic Devices

The use of all electronic devices is forbidden in music department classes, rehearsals and concerts, unless allowed by the individual professor for instructional purposes